Wiltshire’s Big Pledge returns in 2015 with the theme ‘make a difference’ and 12 pledges that people can make as an individual, a group, a business or a community. Wiltshire’s Big Pledge is a county-wide campaign endorsed by Wiltshire Council’s Legacy Board. It is part of the ongoing work to encourage Wiltshire residents to lead healthier and more active lives. The campaign aims to make a difference to an individual’s health and wellbeing; and make a difference in the local community.
Wiltshire’s Big Pledge challenges people to get healthy, volunteer, or make a positive change in 2015. The 12 pledges are:
Make a difference to my health and wellbeing:
- Take the sugar swap challenge and reduce my sugar intake for 21 days
- Be sun aware and protect my skin during May to September
- Eat a rainbow by increasing my fruit and vegetable intake to at least five a day for 30 days or more
- Get active by increasing my physical activity for 30 days or more or by taking part in the Big Pledge Activity Challenge
- Stop smoking for 30 days
- Be alcohol aware by having at least two or three alcohol free days a week
- Improve my wellbeing by taking time out to do something I enjoy at least three times a week
Make a difference in my community:
- Volunteer at least once a month from May to September
- Do charity fundraising for a local cause
- Do acts of kindness by helping someone in my neighbourhood during May to September
- Get my community active by encouraging people I know to do more physical activity
- Be dementia friendly and become a dementia friend
What you need to know
- Wiltshire’s Big Pledge runs from 11 May to 30 September 2015.
- The Big Pledge Activity Challenge (previously known as the Wiltshire Challenge) will run from 1 June to 19 July 2015. Registration will open on 11 May 2015.
- The Big Pledge website, which will launch shortly, will have tips and links to useful information to support those making a pledge www.wiltshire.gov.uk/Bigpledge
- People can register their pledges on the website and can do as many pledges as they like.
- Radio advertising will run on Heart, Smooth, Spire, The Breeze etc. to support the campaign.
What you can do
- You can make a difference in your community by helping to promote Wiltshire’s Big Pledge in your place of work and community.
- Become a campaign champion within your community to promote Wiltshire’s Big Pledge and encourage people to register their pledges online
- Wear your ‘Ask me about Wiltshire’s Big Pledge’ badge
- Encourage people to post pictures and tell us about their pledge on Facebook at: facebook.com/WiltshireBigPledge and on Twitter using #Bigpledge
- Make a pledge yourself as an individual or as a group.