Partners in Salisbury, working with the Alzheimer’s Society are organising a programme of events to mark Dementia Awareness Week this year.
The programme so far includes:
- 16th May- awareness raising session on how to become a dementia friend at the Alzheimer’s Society office on Brown Street
- 17th May- a street collection in the city centre and a stall at St Thomas’s Church in the morning
- 19th May – Singing for the Brain Showcase at St George’s Church, Harnham, 11am
- 19th May- open dance classes for the over 60s at Five River’s Leisure Centre, 1.30pm and 3pm (no charge)
- 20th May – come along and receive training on how to become a Dementia Friends Champion, 10am at Alzheimer’s Society office on Brown St
The Salisbury Area Board facilitated a discussion of partners at its meeting last night, involving over 50 people from residents, businesses, charities, advocacy groups, dance therapy groups, young people, old people, and of course councillors. A commitment was made at this meeting to make Salisbury a Dementia Friendly Community. Come along to the events planned next week to find out what this means for our city and for those in our community living with dementia.
For more information, please contact Caroline Wilson on 01722 326236, or Karen Linaker on 01722 434697.